Combat Winter Dry Skin: Our Top Products & Tips
by Margot White Sunday, January 07
Are you feeling the need to step up your skincare routine? With record cold temperatures, high winds and snow in the Northeast we certainly are! Winter weather conditions can cause skin to be drier that usual, itchy and even exacerbate conditions like eczema and rosacea. In addition to dryness, you might find your skin seems puffier or appears dull and sallow. With a few small changes in your routine, your skin will become comfortable and glowing again!
1. Turn the hot water down. Because it's so cold, our instinct is to turn the hot water in the shower up. T urning the dial down just a little bit can make a tremendous difference.
2. Moisturize. Always moisturize, even when skin isn't feeling particularly dry to prevent dry skin flare-ups before they happen. Apply moisturizer to body after bathing while skin is still slightly damp. On face, use before going to bed. Choose products made with natural and organic oils, balms and waxes such as olive oil, argan oil, jojoba oil, shea butter and beeswax. Flax, chia and red raspberry seed oil are rich in Omega 3 essential fatty acids so they have the added bonus of being anti-inflammatory to help calm down aggravated skin.
3. Avoid scratching - including the scalp! It's tempting... but excessive rubbing or scratching can actually create more itching and lead to worsening of the condition.
4. Exfoliate - but gently. Helping to remove dead skin cells will brighten skin and help prevent breakouts. Choose a product free of microbeads and with gentle granules to avoid micro-tears in the skin. Use mild cleansers. Choose a product without harsh detergents like Sodium Laureth Sulfate.
5. Avoid chemical ingredients. Unfortunately most mainstream products contain unnecessary, irritating chemical ingredients that can put our health at risk. We recommend avoiding products with Synthetic Fragrance, SLS, Retinoids, and PEG's (Polyethelene Glycols) which can aggravate dry, sensitive skin. What about petroleum products (inc. petrolatum, toluene, mineral oil)? These are mixtures of hydrocarbons derived from crude oil that depending on how they are purified, can have contamination concerns. Also, petroleum products create a barrier that does not allow the skin to breathe and can trap dirt underneath.
OUR PRODUCT PICKS - We have TONS of choices in our Dry Skin Collection - but here are a few we have been especially loving these days!
1. KIMBERLY SAYER GENTLE ALMOND LAVENDER FACE SCRUB: Packed with shea butter, essential oils and organic grains to deep cleanse clogged pores and help prep skin for moisturizing. This unique non-abrasive formula cleanses and exfoliates without causing micro scratches – a common side effect of many scrubs. Leaves skin feeling hydrated - not depleted! We also recommend her HYDRATING ANTI-OXIDANT FACE MASK - which unlike other masks, is left on the skin to help diminish fine lines and plump skin.
2. H IS FOR LOVE BARA BALM: This decadent facial emollient melts into skin, taking moisturizing to another level! Made with skin soothers like Sea Buckthorn Oil, Tamanu Oil, Calendula and a unique locally sourced Chamomile. Absorbs quickly to soften skin leaving your face with an ultra sheer layer of protection against environmental assault. Light, gorgeous, sweet and uplifting scent. Use it on its own, as an added boost to your face oil or as a spot treatment wherever extra moisture may be required. We LOVE using this at night and waking up to incredibly soft, hydrated skin with NO greasiness! Concentrated - so only a little bit is needed and will last a while.
3. KARI GRAN LIP WHIP: Rich and luxurious Lip Whip is the ultimate, long-lasting hydration for your lips. Contains a soothing combination of organic ingredients including beeswax and sunflower seed oil. Keep at bedside table and always wake up to moisturized, soft, lips. Also available in a variety of shades to give lips a sensual, glossy, moisturizing boost.
4. GRIFFIN REMEDY OMEGA 3 ULTRA MOISTURIZING BODY WASH/LOTION Our best-selling lotion and body wash great for the whole family. Both are rich in Omegas from Flaxseed Oil and MSM, an organic sulphur compound that strengthens skin and helps support against inflammatory conditions. Both products are affordable and available in scent-free for sensitive noses.
5. MOA HELLO SUNSHINE BODY OIL This zesty body oil full of active organic ingredients stimulates circulation to promote healthy, vibrant skin. The nourishing golden base absorbs easily, hydrating the skin while providing essential minerals, antioxidants and vitamins to protect and tone. Skin is left amazingly soft and NOT greasy! Refreshing eucalyptus blends with woody notes of pine and yarrow to soothe aching muscles, making this a wondrous massage oil after exercise.
6. PLENI NATURALS BERRY + OLIVE BABY BALM AND CUCUMBER GRAPE BODY OIL Berry Olive Balm is velvety-smooth and delivers a nutritious dose of vitamins, antioxidants and omegas to soothe and provide barrier protection. Excellent on any skin irritation, redness and to prevent chafing and chapping in diaper area. Pleni Naturals Apple Broccoli Hair and Body Wash is PH balanced to be super gentle and bursting with broccoli seed oil, California grown organic olive oil, and other beneficial fruit and vegetable-based ingredients.
7. DN-UNIK NIGHT CREAM/DAY CREAM DN-UNIK's signature ingredient, Natural Hyaluronic Acid, is obtained from the fermentation of a mixture of algae and plants and is known for its moisturizing and age-defying properties. It helps protect the tissues and preserve the water content of the skin. This night cream also contains Raspberry Seed Oil rich in Omegas 3 and 6, Beta-carotene, Lutein and Vitamin E to protect the skin against the harmful effects of free radicals and improve skin tonicity and elasticity. Lighter in weight and super under makeup is DN-UNIK Day Cream.
8. MAX GREEN ALCHEMY SCALP RESCUE SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER This award-winning, gentle shampoo and conditioner is designed for all hair types with its superior blend of botanical extracts, vitamins and essential oils that create strong, lustrous hair and healthy scalps while avoiding harsh detergents found in mainstream shampoos. Infused with jojoba oil, tea tree, lemon tea tree, geranium and lavender for scalp relief and dandruff control. Products are great for dry, irritated scalps and psoriasis.
Finally, remember to eat well and drink. When it's cooler we tend to drink less, which can lead to skin dehydration. Choose water that can be boosted with a lemon slice, and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables!