How to Use Green Tea Topically: 5 Benefits Your Skin Will Love
by Becca Tetzlaff Friday, January 31
By now I’m sure you’ve heard about the health benefits of drinking green tea. But what about applying it topically to your skin? Yeah, that’s right! Today we’re going to dive in and take a look at how green tea can be beneficial for your skin, and what products here at The Choosy Chick contain it.
5 Skin-Loving Benefits of Green Tea
Green tea, which you might also see as Camellia Sinensis or Matcha on an ingredient label, has a wide variety of benefits when used topically:
- Loaded with antioxidants: Green tea contains a powerful antioxidant called EGCG which has been shown to help repair DNA! Because of these properties, it’s also ideal for preventing and diminishing signs of aging. EGCG also works to stimulate cell turnover, meaning that green tea can actually help with hair growth, too!
- Naturally caffeinated: You might be wondering, how does caffeine help my skin?! Well, caffeine helps shrink blood vessels. Meaning, green tea is awesome for depuffing and brightening skin! Like a cup of coffee for your face.
- Contains astringent tannins: Say what?! Tannins are biomolecules that bind with amino acids and are naturally astringent. In layman's terms, this means that green tea can be used as a toner to even out skin tone, help fight acne, and keep pores clear. Tannins have even been proven to regulate sebum production – buh-bye oily skin!
- Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial: At this point, what can’t green tea do?! It’s also packed with polyphenols, which are natural bacteria fighters. This makes green tea awesome for acne-prone skin! Catechins (polyphenols) are also anti-inflammatory and can help diminish redness, irritation, and puffiness.
- Packed with Vitamins E and B2: These two vitamins are so beneficial for skin health! They play a big part in keeping skin youthful and boosting collagen levels. Think plump, firm, soft, and hydrated skin!
Natural Products That Contain Green Tea
To brighten, hydrate, and depuff tired skin.
Naturally helps grow and strengthen brow hairs.
Contains green tea leaf extract to help revitalize hair.
The perfect way to naturally set your makeup, while at the same time delivering a boost of antioxidants to protect.
A beautiful blue serum that is formulated to reduce inflammation and fight free radicals.
To help keep skin smooth and prevent irritation from shaving.
A gentle, scent-free scrub to polish skin and keep it fresh!
A super-hydrating eye cream that will also help with dark circles and puffiness!
A pH balancing facial cream suitable for blemish-prone skin.
Written by: Organically Becca
Becca is a blogger, podcaster, wife, and dog mom from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She’s on a mission to get the word out about chemicals found in our everyday items like makeup, food, and personal care products. She provides education on ways you can live a more holistic life and easy swaps you can make in your routine to naturally safer products. Check out Becca’s blog organicallybecca.com and catch her on Instagram @organicallybecca.