Going Plastic-Free? Check Out These Sustainably-Packaged Brands ASAP
by Organically Becca Tuesday, July 17
Have you heard about Plastic-free July? It’s a challenge during the month of July to refuse any single-use plastics. For example, bringing your own mug to the coffee shop or opting to sip your drink without a plastic straw. It’s a movement to bring awareness about plastic pollution and its health effects.
Worldwide use of plastic has increased 20-fold in the past 50 years, and it is expected to double again in the next 20 years. There are numerous reasons why it’s important to use less plastic.
For the Environment:
- It’s estimated that by 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans
- Plastic accumulates in patches in the ocean and often ends up in the stomachs of marine animals (more than 8 million tons of plastic are dumped into the ocean each year!)
- Plastic does not break down, instead it becomes smaller and smaller until it is microscopic. Since pollutants move up the food chain, it’s important to prevent fish and seafood from being exposed and ingesting microplastics.
For Your Health:
- Chemicals in plastic, like bisphenol-A (BPA), can actually leach into products
- These chemicals are linked to hormone disruption because they mimic estrogen in our bodies
- Hormone disruption in our body can lead to cancer, infertility, impaired brain development and other health issues
Shop #PlasticFree Right Here at The Choosy Chick
Thankfully, you can shop some sustainable options right here at The Choosy Chick! Here are options for plastic-free, glass, and/or eco-friendly packaging:
- Au Naturale Cosmetics: Their components are mostly aluminum and the boxes they come in are 100% post-consumer waste.
- Blue Q Eco Coin Purses: Reusable, recyclable bags made from 95% post-consumer material - including water bottles!
- David’s Toothpaste: Natural toothpaste that comes in a recyclable metal tube. The box it is packaged in is made from FSCA Certified Paperboard packaging and made with 100% wind energy.
- Green & Gorgeous Organics: Dry shampoos that come in biodegradable packaging.
- Jack N’ Jill Bio Toothbrush: Kids' toothbrushes that are compostable and biodegradable! They are BPA and PVC-free and are made from cornstarch.
- Jack N’ Jill Bio Bamboo Cups: Cute little biodegradable bamboo cups for kids that are naturally BPA and PVC-free. They are compostable and made from bamboo and rice husks.
- MOA: Organic skincare products packaged in glass or sustainable materials. They also make a bamboo face cloth - bamboo fiber is naturally anti-bacterial, and apart from being luxuriously soft, it’s also one of the most eco-friendly materials on the planet.
- Orgaid: Organic sheet masks that come in recyclable packaging. All masks are made from an eco-derma fabric that is biodegradable and compostable.
Some other brands that are available in glass, tin or sustainable packaging:
Written by: Organically Becca
Becca is a blogger, wife, and dog mom from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She’s on a mission to get the word out about chemicals found in our everyday items like makeup, food, and personal care products. She provides education on ways you can live a more holistic life and easy swaps you can make in your routine to naturally safer products. Check out Becca’s blog organicallybecca.com and catch her on Instagram @organicallybecca.