Ingredient Spotlight: The Gentle Yet Powerful Prickly Pear Seed Oil
by Organically Becca Saturday, May 05
The thought of putting prickly pear on your skin doesn’t sound too pleasant, does it?
Despite the name, prickly pear is actually part of the cactus family. And when it comes to skincare, the oil from the seed is well-known for its amazing benefits. It has been used for centuries by the Aztecs, Chinese, Native Americans, and traditional Mexican medicine to treat everything from burns to illnesses.
You might also hear it called barbary fig seed oil, Indian fig seed oil, and prickly cactus seed oil. Either way, look for the scientific name “opuntia ficus-indica” to know you’re using the same thing. These are not to be confused with the extracts of the fruit or flowers on the prickly pear cactus.
Now, why is this oil gaining popularity? It’s pretty miraculous, actually!
- High linoleic acid content meaning it’s extremely low on the comedogenic rating scale (a.k.a. won’t clog pores and helps keep skin balanced!)
- Very light, slightly nutty smell
- Contains 150% more Vitamin E than argan oil!
- Rich in Vitamin K, antioxidants, zinc, polyphenols, and phytosterols
- Has the highest percentage (88%) of unsaturated fatty acids of any beauty oil on the market
- Despite its rarity due to tiny seeds, it’s actually a very sustainable crop
Because of the properties above, you can expect these benefits from using cold-pressed prickly pear seed oil:
- A 2016 study found that it made wounds heal faster and even boosted collagen levels nearby
- Helps skin retain moisture and stay hydrated
- Balances skin, especially oily or combo skin types, and helps attain a more even tone
- Tightens pores and restores elasticity
- Brightens dark under-eye circles
- Calms redness and irritation (great for sunburn!)
- Speeds up the wound-healing process
- Softens and nourishes
- Stimulates healthy cell production and turnover
- Strengthens capillaries which means it can minimize spider veins
- Neutralizes free radicals and repairs UV or environmental damage to the skin
- Prevents signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines (even reduces them!)
Need I say more, or…? Some products that you can buy right here from The Choosy Chick that contain prickly pear:
So much more than a toner! Your skin will drink this up, leaving hydrated, nourished, plump skin behind. Made with organic rose water, aloe, prickly pear stem extract, and more.
A nourishing body serum that softens, brightens, and tones your skin while preventing and minimizing the appearance of stretch marks and premature wrinkles. A powerhouse blend of organic oils with MŪN’s signature prickly pear oil!
A fast-absorbing, non-greasy serum that is suitable for all skin types including oily and acne-prone skin. It’s a simple, yet effective blend of organic prickly pear seed oil, argan oil, and rose oil.
BB creams are basically skincare and makeup in one because of all the beneficial ingredients. The INIKA BB cream has organic prickly pear seed oil along with pomegranate, avocado and jojoba oils to hydrate skin while providing awesome coverage like a foundation.
A multi-purpose certified organic balm that was formulated to heal dry, damaged skin and give a subtle glow. You can even use it to remove makeup or wear under makeup. It contains prickly pear seed oil as well as lavender, lime, beeswax, and camellia oils.
So, are you convinced yet? I don’t know about you, but I want to use ALL the prickly pear seed oil from here on out!
Written by: Organically Becca
Becca is a blogger, wife, and dog mom from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She’s on a mission to get the word out about chemicals found in our everyday items like makeup, food, and personal care products. She provides education on ways you can live a more holistic life and easy swaps you can make in your routine to naturally safer products. Check out Becca’s blog organicallybecca.com and catch her on Instagram @organicallybecca.